I’m at work again and man is this depressing. The majority of the employees are talking about getting fired, losing their benefits, other jobs, how they will survive, etc. I am aware of the situation and doing what I can so I will be employed, but these conversations are not helping. They are also talking about how frustrated they are and how the ‘county’ should be doing more to take care of them during their time of transition.
I understand that this is how some people cope. They need to relate to people and figure out what they are going to do. As such, I am not intervening. More than anything, it is frustrating for me because I am normally a very positive person and I am doing my best in staying focused and proactive.
When people have asked how I am, I have honestly responded with “mildly depressed.” It is an accurate diagnosis. When I mention it, people turn their head and start to console me. They then attempt to give me advice on how to manage it. The only reason I mention it is because people ask, “How are you?” By sharing it, I do not want advice or to hear the typical “everything will be okay.”
I know that everything will be okay, I know it will work out, and I know it will take time for everything to sort out. I understand that people are trying to help and be supportive. All I need at the moment is for somebody to listen and be sympathetic. That’s all. If they are aware of other possible jobs . . . that would help too.
Yes, this is a minor rant. As mentioned in my previous post, things will probably get worse before they get better. This is, however, keeping you apprised of the situation and how I’m dealing with it.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment