Friday, July 25, 2008

It's Officially Over

After many months (and possibly years) of anticipation, it is finally over. I had been waiting for such a long time, preparing myself, wondering what it would be like, talking about it with friends and just waited.

But as of 2:00AM this morning, the wait was over. I went to see The X-Files: I Want to Believe at 12:01AM and was not disappointed. For those of you who have not seen it, this contains no spoilers just my general impressions and minute sadness about its end.

The movie lived up to my expectations which were high. However, my expectations were realistic, unlike many other X-files fans that I have read about. So I watched and enjoyed. Throughout the entire film I was in my own head, seeing nods to those of us who know the entire series. Small things such as a cameo by the director and names of various people involved in the series popping up. Overall, it was an extended X-files episode that lived up to its hype. And more than anything, the ending (STAY UNTIL AFTER THE CREDITS ARE OVER IF YOU GO) made it worth it.


But now, I'm sad. It is over. The anticipation is gone. The excitement is history. So I have to move on and focus on something else. Maybe school would be a good thing to think about.

Edit to Add: Then again . . .

Will there be a 3rd movie?

There's a possibility of a third movie, largely dependant on the financial success of this one. Chris Carter has said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that he would like to make a third movie, one that would "fare better with those who have been long term devotees of the show" with rumour being that it would follow the X Files mythology rather than the standalone nature of "I Want To Believe."

1 comment:

  1. Seldom is a sequel, prequel or spinoff as good as the first in the series, nor do they reach the same success level as the original movie (or book or tv series) did.
    If this movie left you pleased in any way, it was worth the price of admission and the time it took to view it.

    ReplyDelete