Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What Separates Us?

What happens when you put 6 people in a 6x12 area and tell them all to work on different things at once? Chaos. Pure and utter chaos. As such, this one of the six people has decided to separate himself to an office much further away so they can work, whine, scream, and run without me blocking their way. Fortunately down here a window is open, there is a nice breeze, and the sun is still out showing its rays in all its glory.

Yes, I am at work. Now that I'm away from the stress, I am happy and content. I think I'll stay down in this solitary office a bit longer.

I do have one question though. If client's are said to be angry and hostile (according to every other staff member), why are they not angry and hostile around me? I'm not saying I want them to be that way, but I wonder how the staff is interpreting the signals of the clients.

Another point I would like to ask is why are the simplest behaviors horribly pathologized in those people that are mentally ill. As a non-mentally ill person (although my ex-coworkers may disagree) I have my moods of happiness, sadness, random anger and frustration. If suddenly I have a mental illness, these simple moods are interpreted as something much more significant. Why must everything be pathologized? Does it make it easier for the 'mentally stable' people to categorize and lock away the 'mentally unstable'? I mean, some of my current coworkers SHOULD be clients instead of staff. But because of that minor distinction, all of their quirks are ignored. Can somebody do something about that?

2 comments:

  1. Well, we have to justify the decision to institutionalize people. Otherwise we'd feel guilty and have to commit ourselves too.

    As for your coworkers, you just need to switch some nametags and clothing around.

    "But I work here!"
    "Sure you do..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, one who likes his alone time...
    this must be one of my children, don't you think??? And quiet away from the "group".
    Gallucci Girl

    ReplyDelete