Sunday, May 20, 2007

Elderly Appreciation

So at my job there is a gentleman about the age of 80 who I have had the privilege of working with (no, no sarcasm). He is so kind and gentle. Honestly, I've had a problem working with him previously because he is frequently incontinent and I have difficulties cleaning him up. Well, tonight was slower and there were no problems or arguments so I was spending the end of the night outside of the dining room watching TV. I hear this elderly gentleman shout 'help' randomly for a few minutes with people going in and out. Finally at one point I decide to go in and visit him. I sit in his wheelchair beside his bed and ask him how he is. "Oh, not too bad I'd say." He responds. So for nearly 30 minutes I sat there and talked with him. We talked about his family, when he was a child going to school with his siblings, his farm, and his 1929 Ford with a crank in the front to make it go. I did not want to stop talking to him, but I had to go home.

It was a good experience. Honestly, I'm a little less afraid of the elderly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment