So I decide to go file my taxes by using TurboTax. I do everything and it shows I have a 'dependent exemption' which I do not qualify for. So I double check, I have no dependents, I did not check any boxes for any dependents . . . and I have tried to remove the automatic deduction in every way possible. Since that was unsuccessful, it is suggested I use TurboTax chat to resolve this. So I open it and this is what I see. The text you see in red are my thoughts, feelings, and sometimes the amount of time that has passed between statements. Excluding removing my tax forms, this is unedited.
Arnel A: Thank you for contacting TurboTax Help and Support, my name is Arnel A. How may I help you?
John: Yes, I need some help with the TurboTax Freedom Edition.
Arnel A: Hello. How may I help you?
John: It is giving me a personal exemption of $3300 stating I am caring for someone or I have a dependent. Neither of which are true, I want to correct this before I file my taxes.
Arnel A: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you. However, I am more than willing to help you. Let me make sure I understand your concerns, you are having problem with regards to personal exemption topic. Is that correct?
Um . . . did you not read what I just wrote?
John: Not necessarily the topic, I entered the info stating I am single and it gave me the exemption anyway.
Arnel A: Did you put any dependents on the Dependent subtab?
John: None
Wait . . . maybe he does not speak English and doesn't understand something so complex.
John: Pardon, no I did not.
Arnel A: Thank you. Before we proceed, will it be okay if I address you by your first name?
John: Sure
Arnel A: Thank you. John, here's what we're going to do.
Arnel A: Please kindly open your Turbotax program.
Less than three seconds pass
John: I am on the website.
Throughout the delay, I see 'Arnel is responding' flash on an off the screen. Five minutes pass.
Arnel A: You have been idle for more than 3 minutes. If you have sent your question and I have not yet replied to it, please resubmit your question. If I do not hear back from you within the next two minutes, I will need to close this session.
Can you not read?
John: I stated that I am on the website. I'm waiting for your response.
Thirty seconds pass, maybe that is way too simple. I probably need to spell it out for him.
John: I have attempted to do my taxes through TurboTax Online Freedom Edition and this is where the problem with the exemption is occurring. Please advise.
Another minute passes.
John: Are you there?
Arnel A: Yes. I am still here.
Arnel A: Can you please open your Turbotax Freedom Edition?
John: It already is.
Wait, too complex.
John: It is open. Please continue.
Arnel A: Okay. Can you please click on the Personal Info tab.
Okay . . . I know if I don't respond with something simple he will not know what to do.
John: Continue
Arnel A: Okay. Click on Dependents.
I already did this multiple times previously.
John: Done, continue.
Arnel A: Did you see any dependents on that page?
John: None are listed.
Wait, too complex again.
John: No. No dependents. Please continue.
Arnel A: Okay. John, do you see the Search Topics or Forms link at the upper center of your screen?
John: Yes
Arnel A: Okay. Kindly click on that.
Do I have to do it kindly?
John: Done, continue.
Arnel A: A window will pop up and kindly enter the keyword "personal exemption" on the space provided.
Arnel A: Select the second option then click Go.
Arnel A: Are you now in the page entitle Review Your Exemptions?
John: Yes, I see the page.
Arnel A: Okay. Do you see any exemptions there?
John: Yes, it states I qualify for a $3,300 exemption.
Arnel A: Are there any names that appear on that page?
John: My name.
Too complex again.
John: Otherwise, no.
Arnel A: Okay. It means you have exempted yourself which is not correct.
I have exempted myself, I HAVE DONE IT? No . . . the bloody PROGRAM exempted me.
Arnel A: Do you need that form?
John: I do not believe so.
Too complex?
Arnel A: Okay. Would you want to delete that form?
Hurrah, finally a resolution!
John: How can I do that? Please advise.
Arnel A: Okay. You may follow the steps below.
Arnel A: 1. Open your return in TurboTax Online.
2. Select Other Options from the box on the left side of your screen, and then select Delete a Form.
3. Select Delete next to the form you want to remove.
Didn't help. I was already sitting on that screen before he sent the instructions.
John: And which form should I delete?
Arnel A: The one that pertains with that exemption.
Wow, how smart is that! If I knew which form it was, I would not be asking the question.
John: I do not know which form that would be. This is why I am asking you.
Thirty seconds pass.
John: So, which form is it? Please advise.
Arnel A: It is the form 8914.
Arnel A: Do you see it?
John: That form is not listed.
Arnel A: What are the forms listed on that page?
John: (Listed Forms). Otherwise there are various schedules and worksheets.
Arnel A: Okay. Can you tell me all those worksheets and schedules?
You want to play this game? BRING IT ON!!!
John: Absolutely.
John: Listed 8 Forms . . .
John: Listed 5 Forms . . .
John: Listed 10 Forms . . .
John: That is all.
Arnel A: Okay. John, will it be okay if I will be idle for two minutes in order to research the best resolution for your issue?
Your grammar is not the best . . . but at least you're FINALLY going to ask someone about it.
John: (Sarcasm) That would be fantastic. Thank you.
Arnel A: You are very welcome.
Arnel A: Thank you for patiently waiting.
John: (Sarcasm) My pleasure.
Arnel A: John, may I know if you have filed Married filing jointly?
John: No, I am not married.
Maybe I'll specify for his poor little brain.
John: I am filing 'Single'
Arnel A: Can you please review your filing status?
John: I saw the filing status when you wanted me to check for dependents, nonetheless I will go to that page once again.
Must clarify.
John: My filing status is listed on the page as 'Single'
Arnel A: Okay. Thank you for that.
John: Please continue.
Arnel A: John, I have found out that you are entitled for that credit.
OH NO YOU DON'T!!!
Arnel A: So, you do not have to worry if there is an exemption amount in your return.
THEN WHY IN THE . . .
John: According to the instructions on the Freedom Edition, it says I am not eligible for the exemption unless I am a caretaker or have a dependent. What makes me eligible? Please explain.
- chat disconnected by Arnel A-
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh man, that was exhausting! I can't believe you put up with that. You must have alot of patience!
ReplyDeleteAmyL
You do get that $3,300 dependent credit because no one else can claim you on their taxes as a dependent. It's worded weird and threw me for a loop on mine this year too. We get that credit for me, Jonathan, and Gwenita. Yay for babies!
ReplyDelete-Krista