So . . . most often when I work the day shift on the psych ward, I have one supervisor. He doesn't care for me very much. He doesn't consider me to be a go-getter. Why do I say this? Because I haven't gone out, talked to all the patients, resolved all their issues, and got them out of the psych ward. Now why haven't I done this? Because it is the first job I have ever had truly interacting with people on a personal basis, much less people who are not fully mentally capable. So without any form of experience or training, wouldn't you be somewhat hesitant? Well . . . I am.
So the last time I worked the day shift on the psych ward was about 2 weeks ago, and it has been a nice break. I have been on the psych ward for the evening shift, but it is completely different and much more relaxed. Then again, by that point the patients have enough medication in them to sedate an entire army. But working on the night shift has been a good experience. On the psych ward it was less busy, but on Crisis triage I got some more experience by doing what I should be doing. It was really good.
Now, none of the above is really the point of this post. The point is to discuss some job training from last week. I attended a class called PRO-Act. Basically, it is a class we were required to take to learn how to defend ourselves if a client attacks us. It was pretty good. At times we had to act like patients and other times like workers. They gave me the 'Academy Award for acting the least like he normally does' on that day. I guess I could be a really good patient. Is that scary? Nonetheless the training was good. We learned various holds, how to safely restrain people, and then how to put them in restraints. Very interesting. Some days after the job I really want to leave and not come back and other days I'm really glad I'm there for the experience. I work the night shift today, so hopefully it will be good.
Who knew I'd be working at this type of job? Oh . . . but one more good note. I did get my tax refund back.
Monday, February 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah, that training is bullshit. Sorry to tell you hoss, but when a patient is shrieking at the top of their lungs and running at you, you back away and throw them into a wall.
ReplyDeleteMy training was called PART training. And after the first day working on the adolescent cottage at the Child Study and treatment Center I quickly realized that saying "NO!" with authority and putting your hands up was just as ridiculous as trying to reason with a 15 year old who was swinging from a beam and kicking your coworkers in the head.
Basically, take em down hard and fast, and if they spit, pull their shirt up over their head.
Peace-Out.
~Linds
p.s. - remember to always watch the feet. hold the feet. sit on the feet. straddle the legs and LAY on the feet if you have to. just watch the feet.