I write this as the sump pump in the basement is attempting to drain the water that was up to my knees around noon today. My roommate discovered it while going to get something. Upon hearing about it, I went down there as I had some boxes and other items stored.
Upon going into the water, it was freezing and fortunately not full of sewage. I went over to where my boxes were stored and found two boxes completely drenched. One contained all of the software for my computer(s), some cords, and the boxes/manuals for varying programs I had. I also had a ice chest thing that was given me by IHC a few years ago. Inside of it I stored several books and a picture. Despite the flooding . . . everything in the ice chest remained perfectly intact and dry. A huge thanks to my previous employer for doing something right. As for the software and whatnot . . . they are CDs so that means no real damage. Of course I'll check through them once everything is dried out, but that's all.
As for my roommate, many photo albums, rare books, and other collected memorabilia was destroyed. Since the water was getting so high, the dryer was flooded (and my clothing that was inside). So it seems like the washer and dryer are gone, the heater is dead, as is the electric water heater.
My roommate (ie: the homeowner) is currently sleeping due to the stress. My other roommate is buying pizza. I canceled my clients for tomorrow since I won't be able to shower but fortunately a friend will be helping me out there. Wait . . . he won't be helping me shower . . . he will be hel . . . :: sigh :: . . . nevermind.
Fortunately, I've got a few friends to lean on in the mean time. So for myself, there was no major damage. We are taking some pictures for the insurance who probably won't kick in until 2-3 months down the road.
Also, it appears that several roads are closed in the area. I have a full caseload scheduled for tomorrow, but due to the flooding I wouldn't be able to do counseling tomorrow or go to school anyway . . . that is, if I had to go to school.
I'll keep you informed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dude.
ReplyDeleteUncool.
I am so sorry.
You can always use my shower and crash at my house!
Today, I get to go evaluate two people in the most flooded areas in WA - Orting and Fife. And I left my brand new galoshes at HOME!!
Let me know if you need anything!