Friday, June 15, 2007

Super Busy

It has been the most interesting day . . . and yet not. I woke up, poked around for a while, went food shopping while talking to my sister for nearly two hours. Overall, it was great fun. Then I stuffed myself with a massive breakfast until I went to work. I ended up on my more favorite of the three units, Crisis Triage. For the first several hours the phone would not stop ringing, I did an intake and finally after four hours, I was able to pause for a breather. Two of my clients were Spanish speaking, one of which asked me 30 questions every time he passed me in the hall and the other . . . lets just say I needed to do some translating I never thought I would have to. So finally on my break I went outside and got locked out of the building in an area that is fenced off and has no other access to any other doors. So I hopped the 10 foot fence (boy was I scared when I jumped off the top) and safely hit the grass. I returned inside and kept working until the next intake I was going to do was a woman who only spoke Vietnamese. It was impossible to communicate. Several people tried to call a translator . . . but at 10:00PM on a Friday, who is really doing that anyway? So fortunately one of my friends speaks some Vietnamese. I received permission, had her explain two very brief things to the client and the client went to bed. If someone is in a crisis and they come to crisis triage . . . don't you think they should be able to explain what the crisis is? Nonetheless, she went to bed . . . I filled out other paperwork and came back home.

So what did I learn? I need to brush up on my Spanish vocabulary, I need to calm down when there is a lot going on, and lastly . . . I need to avoid going out that door ever again.

Tschüss

No comments:

Post a Comment