Friday, May 15, 2009

Why I Love British Comedies



Those of you who want to hear about Red Dwarf again . . . continue reading otherwise, don't.

I just finished watching the bonus features in the Bodysnatcher Collection of Red Dwarf. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, the Bodysnatcher collection consists of the first three series remastered along with some enjoyable making of documentaries. While I was watching these, I realized why I enjoy British comedies so. The people are more honest, less politically correct, and actually bad mouth each other in the documentaries. I have never seen/heard this on any commentary, making of feature, or documentary associated with any TV show or film. On American commentaries I always here "we were so close, it was like a family." And I don't recall hearing that once on the Red Dwarf DVDs.

Because of the pure and unedited honesty, they are so much more comical and enjoyable overall. I would highly recommend them . . . although you can only watch them on a computer or a region free DVD player.

1 comment:

  1. But if you think of the standard sibling relationship, you can take the American comments of "it was like family" to be we fought like cats and dogs, she stole my boyfriends, he stole my boyfriend, she took my clothes, and we're glad it's all over and we can put distance between us."

    ReplyDelete