I've come to the conclusion that unions are similar to the stonecutters cults of old (as portrayed on the Simpsons).
Why do I state this you might ask? (And if you don't ask . . . indulge me.) Today I go into work and there are approximately nine part and full time positions posted for people to apply for. Nine! This happening when so many jobs are being cut. I go to apply for several when I'm told I cannot. Why? Oh, because they're union jobs. Union jobs? So in short, I am unable to apply for these positions that I'm perfectly qualified for because I am not a part of the union.
In speaking with my boss' boss, it is possible that many of these positions will go unfilled and as such will be posted for non-union people to apply for. But I have to sit and wait for that to happen . . . if it does.
But that brings up another debate. I am financially stable with my current hours. I honestly do not want to work full time. But my boss shared something which I will need to think over. He stated that with the budget cuts coming in June/July, there is a chance that some of the part time workers jobs will be cut because it is easier than cutting the full time jobs. So . . . if the jobs do become available to the non-union people, should I apply for a full time job? This is what I'm debating and I'm not even sure if I know the answer yet. It is going to take some time to think over.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes. Apply for fulltime. :) Join me in my insane misery umm ishness.
ReplyDeleteIf you're not in school, you really should be working full time. I demand that you suffer as the rest of us do!
ReplyDeletewait... let me get this straight...you can work part-time and still pay off student loans? This information does not compute.
ReplyDeletework full time so that when you come to visit you can spoil my kids rotten and be known as their rich uncle john. no capitals brought to you by one-handed typing.
ReplyDelete