A while back I wrote down part of an article I read and I wanted to see a few responses. I stated that I would post what the article said the correct response would be. First, what the article said.
How would you get the frog to open its mouth and free the waters? Can you think of more than one solution? Where do these solutions come from? In North America the usual response to this story is one that implies aggression. Most people would poke, hit or shoot the frog---even mental health professionals who participated in a bullying prevention workshop. Regardless of their best intentions and a most genuine stance against aggression, most people in this culture are socialized to think of aggression as a solution, and also to act alone rather than as a community. Members of completely different cultures come up with completely different responses. For example, people from the South Pacific Islands, where this story is told, came up with a remarkable ending:
The animals and the humans caucused to find a solution. One of them finally proposed to organize a feast where everyone could try and make the frog laugh. So they each, one by one, tried their silliest grimace, their funniest dance and their most creative jumps. The frog, although obviously interested, would simply not move. Finally, a little snake, who had been rather quiet throughout this journey, started to twist and turn in all directions as if tickled by an imaginary being. The frog first hiccuped, tried to regain his composure and eventually, unable to control his giggles, laughed all the waters out of his gigantic mouth, replenishing the earth and the living beings of their oceans, brooks, and rivers.
So there's an answer. Is it the correct one?
As for today, it is my final and I've been prepping for it. The end is near.
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment