The other day I heard a story on the radio about Google Glasses. For those not familiar with the concept, essentially the glasses would contain a camera and the lenses could be used both as lenses and the equivalent to a screen. Overlays can occur on roads, business could be recognized with feedback given about them when you look at them and at some point facial recognition can occur for your "friends" on facebook.
Although the above things don't scare me, other things that can be done with it do. I was immediately reminded of WALL-E when I heard of this. If you haven't seen it, this screen capture should attempt to illustrate my concern.
Initially it will be glasses and people will see overlays. After it is then released to the public and people become more reliant on it, advertising will become a part of it. Additionally, people will use it when they shouldn't (while driving, walking down the street, in other people's houses, etc). Everything that person is exposed to can then be recorded and archived. They can intentionally bait people, record what they say or do and use it against them or use it for whatever purpose they desire.
Yes, it can be useful but like much technology people don't know how to use it properly or how to safeguard themselves against thieves and hackers. Even if they do, there is usually a backdoor in the coding or somebody else who knows to get into it.
To make a long story short (too late), I think I'll stay away from it and stick with my dumb phone as long as I possibly can.
Sunday, February 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment